Friday, February 21, 2020

Devotionals are great!

I don't always use devotionals.  I am trying to change that.  This is a busy, mixed up, crayzee world these days.  Sometimes we are running on empty and just can't focus on reading the Bible (which is always better by far if we can).  Sometimes we just need to get past an emotional, physical, or spiritual hurdle before we can jump into the Bible. We might be fighting off depression and are struggling to be reminded of the truths that set us free.  Maybe we only have 5 minutes here and there and feel we don't have time to properly digest the Word.  With so much going on in our lives, sometimes it can be difficult to just take the scripture all in, much less ponder it from all angles.

What I love about devotionals is that you can see someone else's perspective on the same topic. Now, let's be clear. I am not meaning to suggest that they should take the place of reading the Bible itself or that they supercede the Bible. Neither of those things are true. It is far better to pray and be guided by the Holy Spirit while reading the Bible for yourself.

However, sometimes reading a devotional is like sitting in the same room and seeing light from two different angles coming through the sunlight on the window. The Holy Spirit might speak to you differently within the same scripture. Then again, sometimes they are just good reminders of things that we should already know but really needed to hear. 

I have a few devotional apps on my phone.  I have an Android but if you can't get them on iPhone I know they are available online as well. I decided to revisit a couple of them yesterday while I was somewhere waiting for my appointment. 

The first is the Daughters of the King.  I read a few of them and I loved them. I will share the titles with you and link to the source, as well.  (The title linked above goes straight to their homepage.)  I really encourage you to get the app or visit the website. 💓  I am sure that all of the devotionals are probably awesome but these really spoke into my spirit yesterday. 


The other app that I opened was Proverbs 31. Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to listen to the podcast, "4 Ways to Steward Your Season of Suffering Well."  I intend to, though, I just ran out of time. 

Keep in mind that I said I am aiming to get better at keeping up with the devotions.  I am not there yet. A couple of days prior, I had really loved devotions in the book, "Streams in the Desert" by L.B. Cowman.  There are 365 devotions for morning and evening (each). 

I don't know if anyone else marks in their books but in this one, I had to. Monochrome drives me nuts. I am pretty sure that is a me thing but equally as sure that there are other people like me out there. ;)  I also wanted to make notes that would not get misplaced. (I have a bad habit of forgetting which notebook I wrote it in or where I put that piece of paper. *rolling my eyes at myself* This just works better.  


 

I'm sorry for the lighting differences in these pics. It is late (I don't want to wait until tomorrow 😄) and I don't have a lot of light at my desk. I had to lighten them up with the picture editor. 👍

I hope that something in this post blessed you. If you have any questions, I will try to answer them as best I can.  Much love in Christ and many blessings to you! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Sample Text